Thursday, July 14, 2011

Salut à la France!

Constructing national identities is a messy business, but tackling political injustice is always worth celebrating. Natalie Dessay is, I believe, also always worth celebrating! Le quatorze juillet seemed like an appropriate time to post this gem from Dessay, who has just been made a Chevalier de la Légion d'honneur (Mady Mesplé was also among those honored this year.) Is it possible to watch this without smiling? Here's to our hopes, here's to our loves. And as long as we're celebrating, why not find a nice bottle of Bordeaux and open it in honor of liberté, égalité, fraternité?

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite comic operas. I just love Dessay in the role; she's so sincere and hilarilous. Like Lucille Ball with high notes. Happy Belated Bastille Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Christie Isn't it fun? I've taken more than one opera virgin to La Fille performances. And Dessay is sweet. When I heard her in the role I was too squished into the Wiener Staatsoper standing room to see much of it, so I think I really will have to see the DVD at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Start a conversation!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...