Sunday, December 22, 2013

Interval adventures: Staatstheater Wiesbaden


Staatstheater Wiesbaden

Mentioning my passion for opera to new acquaintances has elicited a near-universal comment on how fortunate it is that there are multiple houses in the region. A good handful of people piqued my interest by following this remark with: "Have you been to the house in Wiesbaden yet?" While Frankfurt sits preeminent among the companies within easy traveling distance, local consensus seems to be that Wiesbaden is, by some margin, the most beautiful house. And on Tuesday, I found out why.

Cupola


Here are the ceiling painting and chandelier as seen from my seat in the second tier:


These putti may look baroque, but they're really neo-baroque: the house was built in 1894 at the behest of Emperor Wilhelm II, whose arms are still on one of the best boxes. 

In 1902, because, it seems, the emperor found the theater insufficiently grand (!), a foyer was added. I stumbled across this foyer while looking for refreshment at the interval. I believe my jaw may have dropped.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful pics! I feel a little bit shame for not having visited this theatre yet, even though I live not far from Wiesbaden. The Kurhaus Wiesbaden, the castle Johannisberg and the monastery Eberbach are also worth visiting, in where the Rheingau music festival take places. The festival is extended until 13. September. Looking forward to its programme.
    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! I loved my visit to Kloster Eberbach but had not heard of Schloß Johannisberg… thank you for the tip! I hope you too are enjoying the holidays.

      Delete
  2. This info you provided in the blog that was really unique I love it!!! italian opera

    ReplyDelete

Start a conversation!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...