Through the trackless byways of cyberspace, what leads people to this particular blog? Well, a number of kindred spirits searching for "opera obsession." But many land on this page with more specific goals in mind; in honor of these opera obsessions, I thought I'd share some juicy tidbits on the singers who are most often sought after.
1. Eva-Maria Westbroek: I haven't seen her yet, but she will be my next Sieglinde, and was posted about accordingly. By all accounts a thrilling performer and a genuinely nice person, here she is as a very sexy and appropriately formidable Katerina in Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk:
2. Diana Damrau: reviewed in La Fille du Regiment. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't spent more time oohing and ahing over her, to be honest, for I do love her. That secure, sweet tone is just ravishing, and then she seems so sweet as well! I have firm plans to be present for Le Comte Ory. Meanwhile, here she is in Der Rosenkavalier:
3. Jonas Kaufmann: breathlessly reviewed in Tosca and Carmen. Like Damrau, disconcertingly charming off-stage, and exciting on it. Here he is as Mario, fit to moisten the handkerchiefs of Puccini-susceptible audiences everywhere:
4. Cecilia Bartoli: seeing this wonderful artist live is very high indeed on my opera- and concert-going wishlist. Meanwhile, I adore from afar, while she continues being inexhaustibly fabulous. Here she is with "Son qual nave," which is on Sacrificium and which never fails to make my jaw drop:
5. Peter Mattei: now, I feel that I owe an apology, and a thank you, to all those interested in this fine Swedish baritone. An apology that this blog has been barren of material on him, and a thank you for stopping by anyway! Mattei is another singer I have yet to experience live. One of my deep regrets is missing the monumental From the House of the Dead last season; the end of a grueling term is my only excuse. So far, my only experience of him has been via last summer's Lincoln Center showing of the Bartlett Sher Barbiere... so here he is, hamming it up as Figaro. Recommendations of how I should expand my experience of Mr. Mattei gladly accepted!